Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Healthy Eating

It appears I've fallen off the vegan wagon. I tried Paleo eating for a while which is lean meats (preferably grass-fed) and vegetables. No legumes, grains, dairy or gluten. I can truly say that after being vegan for 7 months, and then going straight into Paleo, my body really didn't have an adjustment period. What I did find out during my 7 month vegan stint is that I'm allergic to milk; like break out in hives and throat closing allergy. I tested cheese and I don't have any allergy to it; yay me! Now on to the Paleo diet. I only tried this for 2 weeks. I must say there was a difference. In just two weeks my midsection was noticeably smaller. There is something to having good gut health. Now I'm working on healthy eating. I'm leaning more toward vegan with limited legumes, grains and gluten. So now onto my first recipe. This recipe is geared toward the healthy eater, but does contain fish. My inspiration came from Jimmy Johns tuna. I really liked their tuna sandwich but when I stopped eating eggs, I needed to find a healthy alternative. This is packed with protein, good fats and Omega-3 and B-12. Tuna Salad Ingredients: 3-4 can tuna in water 1 package of extra firm tofu Yellow Mustard Dill Relish 1 cup chopped mixed vegetables (white onion, green and red peppers) Veganaise Nutritional yeast (optional) Direction: Open cans of tuna and drain water. Dump tuna into a big bowl. Break tofu up into small chunks big enough to fit in the palm of your hand (about six pieces). Squeeze the tofu in your hands to get as much water out as possible (this can get messy). Crumble it up into the bowl with the tuna. Add the chopped vegetables of choice. Add about 2 tablespoons of dill relish, 2 tablespoons of yellow mustard and stir. Add about 3 heaping tablespoons of veganaise and stir very well. Add about 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast and stir again very well. Add more veganaise if needed. This tastes so close to Jimmy Johns, it fulfilled a craving! Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: